Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Cutting Remarks


As you probably know by now, Dear Readers, I love to cook. There's a huge element of satisfaction involved in turning a pile of ingredients into a delectable meal, especially when I know that a lot of my fellow men* are desperately challenged by the task of serving up a bowl of cream of boiled water soup.

But actually, the joy of putting a fine meal on the table is secondary in many respects to the joy of using a large, sharp knife to cut up the ingredients. This is my preferred method of taking out my suppressed aggression ... and it's perfectly safe, as long as you're not too close to the cutting board when I think about the latest stupid Facebook comment or Congressional buffoonery.

I have a collection of very good knives of which I'm very proud and very protective - they're from the German manufacturer Wüsthof, and the series is called Culinar**. They're stylish, very sharp, and nobody complains about the menu when I'm holding a 10-inch chef's knife.

Many people ask, though, why I need so many different knives. They all cut stuff, right? So why do you need all those different ones? Here's a handy chart I found online that helps to explain it for you:


The Culinar series doesn't have a cutlass, yet. But you can bet that as soon as it comes out, I'm getting it. How else can I chop vegetables and repel boarders at the same time?

I run a cutting-edge kitchen, dontcha know!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* And, more and more, women.

** Here's a useful link, in case you're thinking about birthday or Christmas gifts for me already.

4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Applying mayonnaise with a cutlass is enough temptation to try mayonnaise.

John A Hill said...

Hmmm...
I'm wonder how the cats would feel about carving knives on the Roomba...

Mike said...

I had a problem getting my cutlass on the plane the last time.

allenwoodhaven said...

A samurai sword is good for cutting bread. Don't ask how I know...