Thursday, February 16, 2017

Songs Everyone over 50 Should Own?


Yes, I belong to AARP, the American Association of Retired Persons. This makes me an official, card-carrying Cantankerous* Old Fart, dadgummit.


Although I am a proudly Cantankerous Old Fart (#grumpyopa), I don't always agree with everything AARP endorses, and one example is represented by this article from the AARP website: 16 Songs Everyone Over 50 Should Own. This is the list, compiled by writer Jacqueline Mitchard:

Once Upon a Time, by Frank Sinatra

Harvest Moon, by Neil Young

Lately, by Stevie Wonder

A House Is Not a Home, by Dionne Warwick

Little Green, by Joni Mitchell

Gangsta's Paradise, by Coolio

Landslide, by Stevie Nicks

* Hotel California, by The Eagles

You Shook Me All Night Long, by AC/DC

* C'est La Vie, by Emmylou Harris

* He Stopped Loving Her Today, by George Jones

For What It's Worth, by Buffalo Springfield

* Crazy, by Patsy Cline

* God Only Knows, by The Beach Boys

Jailhouse Rock, by Elvis Presley

In My Life, by The Beatles

Well ...

I don't think much of this list, although there are a few (five, to be exact) songs on it that are on my "Very Favorite" playlist (they're marked with asterisks before the title). I agree that Stevie Nicks belongs on the list, but I would replace Landslide with If Anyone Falls. God Only Knows is fabulous, as is Hotel California. Elvis and Neil Young belong on the list, but I'd go with Return to Sender rather than Jailhouse Rock for Elvis, and I'd represent Neil Young with Unknown Legend rather than Harvest Moon. I can't stand rap, so my list would drop Coolio or any other rap or hip-hop performer. And Joni Mitchell should give up her place to Judy Collins - either Song for Judith or Send In the Clowns ought to be on the list. No AC/DC - make it ZZ Top and Sharp-Dressed Man. The Beatles are okay, but I'd go with Eleanor Rigby, and I'd just drop George Jones, Emmylou Harris, Buffalo Springfield, Dionne Warwick, and Stevie Wonder.

Above all, how can anyone over 50 not own some Jimmy Buffett? I'd be hard-pressed to pick a single tune, but A Pirate Looks at Forty, Growing Older, But Not Up, It's My Job, and Perfect Partner are top contenders.

So, how about you, fellow Geezers, Geezerettes, and future Geezers ... what would be on your over-50 playlist? Leave a comment so we can share the tunes.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow, when we offer the next collection of Great Moments in Editing and Signage. See you then.

Bilbo

* And isn't "cantankerous" a great word? It makes for some good alliterative combinations, as in "cantankerous curmudgeon."

7 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Let me do a list...I'll do a list...

Cloudia said...

Perry Como

Grand Crapaud said...

Tony Bennett, Alabama,

Drop Frank Sinatra, Neil Young

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'm 60 and LOVE AC/DC and Shook me all night long is my favorite AC/DC song. Turn it up!
The rest of the list I can say I do like some of the artists just not the song chosen. Like Sinatra, love him, but that isn't a song I would choose for him. So I guess not all we old farts agree. Take that AARP. :-)

Mike said...

Peggy and I will boogie the night away to All Night Long. My list would vary from day to day. All hard rock to all soft rock.

How could you listen to Crazy these days without thinking of Drumpf.

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer said...

Music is so personal. Rosanne Cash is an up and coming luminary.

allenwoodhaven said...

It's a list manufactured to be cross-cultural and time represented. Only personal lists can work. There's just so much variety in music and in taste. I say all the better. Enjoy it, whatever noise it is!