Monday, November 23, 2015

Musical Monday


Back when I was doing my radio show ("The Audio Attic") on WEBR, the Fairfax County public access radio station, I had a theme for each show, and one of my favorite recurring themes was "Songs That Tell Stories." Now, you might argue that every song represents the writer telling a story in music, but there are actually songs that tell real, interesting stories. Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" is one such, and another is the song I've picked for this week - a cowboy ballad that tells the story of a little man pushed just a bit too far. Here's Marty Robbins singing the story of "Mister Shorty" ...



The imagery in this song is vivid and chilling ...

"When you call me 'Shorty,' say 'Mister,' my friend ... or maybe you'd rather be dead."

and

"The forty-four spoke and it sent lead and smoke and seventeen inches of flame."

Have a good day. Be careful who you pick on.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

Mariette said...

An interesting cowboy song.

Linda Kay said...

I love Marty Robbins songs.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That is a song with a startling moral!

Mike said...

One less bully. Probably in every town he went to.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

He also did El Paso.