Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Special Music


Yesterday, I shared some of my "special" books, some the ones that are my favorites for various reasons. Today, I thought I might share some of my "special" music - the songs and instrumental pieces that I particularly enjoy. The list is very long, but here's a sample to start you off ...

Angel Mine, by the Cowboy Junkies. One of my favorite love songs ...



Bullshit, by Grace Jones. I could sing this about sixteen times a day. On a good day ...



Mr Shorty, by Marty Robbins. I love a song that tells a good story, and the storytelling songs don't get much better than this one about the day a pint-sized gunfighter in the Old West got pushed a bit too far ...



Fields of Gold, by Sting. Another great love song. The perfect blend of music and lyrics ...



Herbstgewitter ueber Daechern, by Reinhard Mey. I realize that most of you don't speak German, but this is a fantastic song that puts to rest the idea that German is a harsh and unmelodic language. The title translates as Autumn Thunderstorms over the Rooftops, and here's a sample of the wonderful lyrics:

Haett' ich all das nie vernommen,
Waer' fuer alles taub, und hoert
Nur ein Wort von dir gesprochen - 
Sag' ich doch, ich hab' gehoert.

If I'd never heard anything else,
If I were completely deaf, and yet heard
You speak a single word,
I'd know that I'd heard (enough).



Just a few of my favorite songs. What are some of yours? Leave a comment so we can all share.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow. 

Bilbo

5 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The German song is exquisite! I don't understand German but I can feel the emotion of the singer. A great find, Bilbo!

Grand Crapaud said...

I found Roseanne Cash singing :Sea of Heartbreak" and anyone singing "You Are My Sunshine" to be enjoyable. Buddy Holly and the Crickets too.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Now those are 5 very eclectic choices - love it.

Mike said...

I've heard the Sting song but none of the others. I'm surprised I'd never heard the Grace Jones song. It was probably too risque' for the 80s. You can get it as a ringtone.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Angel Mine and Mr Shorty are really great songs.