Wednesday, October 23, 2013

On Having One


As your Fairfax County Curmudgeon-at-Large, it's my duty to act like the grouchy old fart on occasion, dadgummit. Today is one of those days.

When was the last time someone told you to "Have a good one"? What kind of question is that? Have a good one of what? Hernias? Government shutdowns*? Platters of liver and onions? What?

One assumes that the actually intended message is "Have a good day," but if that's so, why not just say it?

But let's take the argument farther ... I can hear the tea party version now: "Don't you tell me what kind of day I should have! Government already encroaches too much on my freedom to have the kind of day I want, and I don't need you telling me to have a good day if I want to have a lousy one! I know my rights! Don't tread on me! We need a Constitutional amendment guaranteeing us the right to have the kind of day we want, without interference by jackbooted government thugsTM!"


So there!

If you're going to tell me to have something, tell me what it is**. I think the appropriate expression should be "I hope you have a good day," which implies a wish for something good, rather than the curt and demanding "Have a good one," which implies that you'd better have "one" or else.

Have a good day***. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* Applicable only to Ted Cruz and other extreme Republicans.

** "Have a new car" would be nice.

** Or else.

6 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Have a good something.. :P at this time of day...it should probably be a good coffee

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I can see the problem. What sort of good wishes are involved.

Have a good bowel movement?

Have a good commercial to endure?

Have a good commute?

Have a good headache?

If any of these are what's implied, the good wishes are mighty thin.

Amanda said...

Have a good ending to this day....looks like its not starting so well.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I had to laugh I was thinking the EXACT same thing that Evil pop tart wrote. Damn that's scary.

So would indifference be less bothersome?

I hope you have yourself a wonderful traffic free day.

Mike said...

Have a good transit ride. Park your butt someplace... interesting.

Sinner Bob said...

They're too lazy to tell you what sort of good thing you should have.