Thursday, September 26, 2013

Non-Essential Personnel


If Congress can't get past its endless buffoonery and cheap political posturing, the government may run out of money and have to partially shut down on Tuesday. This means that a large number of people (including Yours Truly) may be out of work. If the shutdown occurs, only "essential personnel" will be permitted to go to work and get paid ... the rest of us, the "non-essential personnel," will be out of luck. As you might suspect, the uncertainty surrounding who is and isn't "essential," what Congress may or may not do, and the general low regard in which government employees (and contractors) is held nowadays, have contributed to no small degree of angst.

If you ask me, they're looking in the wrong place for non-essential personnel. I think we all know who they are ...


Have a good day. Tomorrow will be Cartoon Saturday for this week, as Agnes and I will be going to Chincoteague Island for the weekend with our local grandchildren, and I'll have other things on my mind than cartoons. Be here for the laughs I know you'll need.

Bilbo

7 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I hope they come to their senses, Bilbo! If they have any remaining ones, Anyway, I'm praying that they do.

Duckbutt said...

There's a lot of poseurs and non-compromisers in that sorry mix.

Grand Crapaud said...

I'm non-essential.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

This has trickled down to our business as well. Some large remodeling jobs have called and put on hold. So we little people are really feeling this. It's awful for all. I wish you the best Bill.

I wish we could clear out all of Congress and start again!

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

If most employees do get furloughed when they want you to come back you should all call in with the blue flu. You could start that rumor anyway.

Big Sky Heidi said...

Mike's idea is good; but use the norovirus excuse! Or simple work slowly.