Sunday, March 10, 2013

Spring Has Sprung! Well, Sort Of ...


After the miserable bust of the "Snowquester" earlier this week, when the much-hyped 8-10 inches of snow turned out to be about three inches of wet snow that turned to rain and vanished pretty much overnight, all of us in the National Capitol Region were ready for some decent weather ... and we seem to have gotten it! Yesterday was a gorgeous day, with brilliant blue sky, bright sunshine, and a high in the mid-60's, and today is exactly the same, with the exception of a few high, thin clouds. You'd almost think Spring was here!

Yesterday Agnes and I took the opportunity to take a nice long walk around the neighborhood, and I was able to get my compost pile raked out and stirred up in preparation for planting this year's garden. I didn't get quite energetic enough to start weeding and raking out my garden plots, or to buy new pots for my herbs, but it's still early ... and who is better to put the "pro" in "procrastination" than I?

This morning we went to visit our local grandchildren, and took advantage of the glorious weather to get them outside for some fresh air and exercise. Leya conned her father into opening up the zip line that he installed last summer (you can read about that adventure here), and she and Elise had a great time zipping down the line ...

Leya went first ...


And Elise followed ...


Their father rigged up a tow line to enable the seat to be towed back to the starting point, which saves quite a bit of jogging from one end of the line to the other.  Elise insisted on pulling her sister back, which she accomplished with much energy, if a bit more slowly than Leya might have wanted ...


And I couldn't help taking a few pictures of a more artistic nature, given the beautiful sky being massaged by the bare branches of the trees ...


Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day, but since I'll spend it at work, I guess I'll just have to take it on faith. I just hope we're through with this #$&%! on-again-off-again winter and that spring is around the corner. I know Peg is!

Have a good day. Enjoy the good weather while it's here ... it won't be long before we're bitching about the summer heat.

More thoughts on Tuesday.

Bilbo

7 comments:

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Nice grandchildren!

Glad you missed most of the storm.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Such lovely grandchildren. They must be a real joy to see and visit!

Good luck with the herb garden this year.

Mike said...

Where's the picture of grandpa on the zip line?

Bilbo said...

Elvis: yes, they are! And we're just as happy without the snow.

Angel: the girls are a delight, but they do suck the energy out of us. And I can't wait to get the garden in...stand by for the pictures.

Mike: grandpa's medical insurance isn't THAT good.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I'd love to try this line but I may break a hip.

Big Sky Heidi said...

They're adorable, your grandchildren.

Dave Hess said...

Nice pictures of the grandkids.

I can tell you where your snow landed. It skipped the Atlantic and dumped on us over here. We must have almost a foot here in Wiesbaden. And our grandkids in Brussels had a snow day today.