Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Updated Foreign Phrases

A degree in Linguistics is interesting, but not especially useful on a day-to-day basis except as a springboard to discovering the joy of language. As in these expressions, which I pulled out of my ya-ha file, and which (according to my notes) were the winners in a contest in which contestants were to take a well-known expression in a foreign language, change a single letter, and provide a definition for the new expression. It may have been from the Washington Post's weekly Style Invitational contest ... it sounds like that style.

To start you off on a holiday-shortened week, here you go ...

Harlez-Vous Francais? - Can you drive a French motorcycle?

Veni, Vipi, Vici - I came, I'm a very important person, I conquered.

Cogito Eggo Sum - I think; therefore I am a waffle.

Rigor Morris - The cat is dead.

Respondez S'il Vous Plaid - Honk if you're Scottish (this one's for you, Fiona!)

Que Sera Serf - Life is feudal.

Jive le Roi - The king is dead. No kidding.

Pro Bozo Publico - Support your local clown.

Felix Navidad - Our cat has a boat.

Haste Cuisine - Fast French food.

Veni, Vidi, Vice - I came, I saw, I partied.

Quip Pro Quo - A fast retort.

Aloha Oy - Love; greetings; farewell; from such a pain you should never know.

Mazel Ton - Tons of luck.

Visa la France - Don't leave your chateau without it.

Ca Va Sans Dirt - And that's not gossip.

Merci Rien - Thanks for nothin'!

Amicus Puriae - Platonic friend.

These last two don't quite follow the rules of the contest, but are too good to pass up ...

Cogito, Ergo Spud - I think, therefore I yam.

and,

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

I, of course, can't stick around ... it's time to go to work.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

Amanda said...

LOL! I like them all but if I had to pick a favourite - Cogito Eggo Sum....

Davis said...

Go do some real work.
Hasta la pasta, amigo.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

So funny!

John A Hill said...

Thanks for the chuckle!

KathyA said...

OUR CAT HAS A BOAT???? :):):)

Gilahi said...

"Cogito ergo palomino" is putting Descartes before de horse.