Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Stop the Presses! Donald Trump Not Running for President!

Yesterday, professional self-important windbag and Class-A ass clown Donald Trump announced that, after much windy self-promotion and useless, divisive and time-wasting gassing about President Obama's citizenship status, he has decided not to run for president in the coming election.

Yawn.

Given the Republican stable of loud, brainless non-entities groping for a chance at the presidency so that they can inflict the maximum amount of damage to the nation's image and to those not wealthy or healthy enough to rate Republican concern, I guess the thinning of the noisy herd by one overinflated bozohead is about as good news as we might wish for at the moment.

Speaking of good news, it appears that we have nothing to worry about if Congress continues to dither about raising the nation's debt ceiling. According to Senator John Kyl (Arizona Republican), the nation cannot default on its debts because the Constitution doesn't allow it. Well, with all due respect to Senator Kyl, I don't think that's quite what the 14th Amendment says in section 4, the first sentence of which reads:

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."

Questioning the validity of the debt, Senator, is not quite the same thing as thinking that defaulting on it is forbidden.

Of course, the second sentence of the 14th Amendment may apply. It reads in part:

"But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States ..."

I wonder if this includes debt resulting from the actions of Congressional lunatics playing chicken with the economic life of the nation.

I also wonder if any of them has read this wonderful article: Battle Over National Debt Ceiling Has Negotiation Experts Shaking Their Heads. If you need a good cry over the competence of our elected reprehensives, this will help.

And now, depressed over the state of affairs, I guess I'll take Nessa for a walk and then go to work. It's too early to drink.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo



7 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'm going to come with you...this is all too depressing.

Gilahi said...

"It's too early to drink."

I'm sorry, sometimes I just don't understand some of the nonsensical sentences that show up here.

Anonymous said...

It's never too early to drink. For an otherwise brilliant man you can say some of the dumbest things!

Oh, and ass-clownery is not restricted to the Congress. I started my summer intership at an engineering firm yesterday, and ass-clownery is rampant.

Chrissy said...

Is it sad that I was actually looking forward to him running - just so I could see where SNL would take it?

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

too early to drink? My grandmother always told me that it's 5 o'clock somewhere. How did you not learn this as a child? Was it only my family?...tee hee

Yes, we can all sleep better at night knowing that comb over won't be on our money.

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday that read - Read the Constitution.
Maybe we should send that to Senator Kyl.

Raquel's World said...

I never saw that coming. I really thought he'd give it a go.
I wonder now was it all a ploy to boost his ratings?

Mike said...

That's why I sleep untill noon. So it's not to early to drink.