Tuesday, March 08, 2011

My Fifth Blogoversary, and a Rant

Continuing briefly with the today-in-history theme we've followed the last two days, I note with all the smug self-congratulation of a hardshell Republican that today - March 8th - marks my fifth "Blogoversary."

Yes, it was five years ago today that I wrote my very first blog post. You can read it in all it's initial glory here if you like; however, I like to think that the newer posts are far more interesting and worth your time.

I've had a lot of fun with this blog, and through it I've met some fascinating people, some of whom I've come to know well enough to call friends: Gilahi (although he's not blogging any more), Kathy A, John, Zandria, Mike, Buggie, Captain Picard, Andrea, and Amanda, among many others.

I've written 1,633 posts (more or less), some much better or more entertaining than others, and accrued something over 6,800 comments ... only one of which was utterly negative and insulting.

It's been fun, it's still fun, and I plan to keep going.

Starting now ...

Just when I thought that conservative Republican hubris couldn't get any worse, I found this amazing article: "In States, Parties Clash Over Voting Laws That Call for IDs, Limits on Where College Students Can Cast Ballots." Now, before I get started, let me just say that I have no problem whatsoever with proper registration of voters, and with the requirement that a voter positively identify him- (or her-) self at the polling place. My problem is with what is clearly the underlying issue, as Mr William O'Brien, Speaker of the State House in New Hampshire said just about as plainly as one can. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"They're 'foolish,' [Speaker William] O'Brien said in a recent speech to a tea party group. "Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack 'life experience,' and 'they just vote their feelings.' ... New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all."

Well, I've been a college student, and I would be the first to agree that some college students are foolish. So are some politicians, particularly those who seem to lack familiarity with the Constitution, particularly the 26th Amendment. To them, college students are not citizens with a constitutional right to vote, but "... people with a dearth of experience and a plethora of the easy self-confidence that only ignorance and inexperience can produce."

So...

If Republicans don't think college students of the appropriate age, who meet legal residency and other requirements, should be able to vote, how do you think they feel about the rights of minorities (the 15th Amendment), women (the 19th Amendment), or anyone else who might harbor those ghastly liberal ideas.

If you don't think this is an absolutely appalling example of dangerously unconstitutional - if not downright stupid - thought, you may need to go back and re-take your high-school civics class (except that I don't think those are being taught any more).

How can anybody with a brain listen to these ass clowns*?

I had another topic I was also going to rant about this morning, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. My spleen has been sufficiently vented for the moment.

Be very wary of those who would chip away at your rights ... those rights are what keep you from living in a paradise like Pakistan (where you can be murdered with impunity by religious bigots for the "crime" of blasphemy) or North Korea (where your primary right is the right to starve on behalf of the regime).

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* I threw this in, Chrissy, because I knew you'd like it.

B.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Happy Blogoversary!! You've got a great blog going - Funny, grouchy and poignant all at the same time.

Chrissy said...

Yay! Happy Blogoversary! In blogging time...five years is what...more like 7 or 25? Hee hee

Thanks for the "Ass clown" shout out. You know I love me some ass clown references!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Happy Blogoversary.

I love how you point out what I think is the obvious but to most people who seem to be asleep at the wheel need to hear.

Keep blogging...we need ya.

Mike said...

I'm right behind you. I've got to make it to July.

allenwoodhaven said...

Congrats on the milestone. I read you just about every day and always find you thoughtful as well as usually right on target. Keep it up; we'll keep reading!

Love the "ass clown" phrase. I've started using it myself; it's a perfect fit for too many people....

KKTSews said...

Congrats on the anniversary. I know it's work and am amazed at your perseverance / patience / stubbornness in keeping going this long.

Now, to your point. What really, really vexes me about potentially disenfranchising young people is that they have the most, long term, at stake here. They will have to pay for all the bills stemming from unremitting increases in the entitlement programs. Oh, those...the ones that no politician DARE cut or else the old farts (who have the years of experience) will vote out of office for thinking of the greater good rather than the individual.

On days like this I just want to go hide somewhere!

KathyA said...

Wow! 1633 posts and you still rock!!!

Yes, and going back to the chant during the 60s -- these youngsters without life experience sure can gain a lot of it by putting their lives on the line in Afghanistan, Viet Nam or wherever ass clowns like this guy send them!