Tuesday, April 27, 2010

From the "Why Bother?" Department...

Need a bemused shake of the head this morning? Consider this interesting article from CNN online: Muslim Swimsuits Bare Little on Turkish Catwalks.

The article describes, with pictures (of course) a fashion show highlighting swim fashions for Islamic women. These fashions are characterized by outfits which employ the maximum amount of material to show as little of the actual woman as humanly possible. Modesty is the chief characteristic of these fashions, which completely cover the arms, legs, and hair, leaving only hands and face exposed...here's an example:

In enlightened garden spots like Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan, only the eyes are exposed (if that)...

Of course, the point is not to swim or be comfortable, but to ensure that men are not distracted from godly pursuits by the ogling of ungodly women.

Me, I have no problem with swimsuits, regardless of the number of pieces (i.e., one or two). The only problem I have with swimsuits comes when they are not appropriate for the lady's body type. An observation I made in Europe long ago was that most ladies who go to topless beaches...shouldn't.

And before you ladies jump on me for that comment, I have the same problem with inappropriate swimsuits for men...there's nothing that spoils a perfectly good beach like a fellow with an enormous, hairy beer gut hanging down over the tight Speedo he thinks will attract the attention of desirable ladies to the outline of his manly hydraulics. The word "yuck" comes to mind.

In my case, of course, I'm always reluctant to be seen in public in swimming trunks. It's so annoying to be followed by crowds of beautiful women ... who probably just think I know the way to the public restrooms.

And let us remember the words of famous model Cindy Crawford: "They were doing a full back shot of me in a swimsuit and I thought, Oh my God, I have to be so brave. See, every woman hates herself from behind."

And lest I get behind in my schedule for the day, I think I'll leave it right here.

Have a good day. Wear the right swimsuit.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

KKTSews said...

Ack! Swimsuit season! NOOOOOO!!!

Amanda said...

I have about 6 or 7 months to prepare for swimsuit season. It is my first winter in 13 years though so anything could happen.

Anonymous said...

You'll like this--when we went to the Migrant Heritage Festival competition last fall we were seated next to a table of George Mason University students including one young lady who was Muslim. She found a way to handle the modesty issue by dancing in the headscarf, with a long sleeved, high necked tunic and leggings. Pretty cool, huh?

Mike said...

"annoying to be followed"

I know what you mean. It's even more annoying when they're screaming and yelling while carrying pitch forks and axes.

Wv: jesse - The guy with the girl that you wish you had. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2T7wKdQsTo

allenwoodhaven said...

Have you heard any word about "Boobquake"? It was an event in D.C. recently, I'm not sure when. Women were going to gather and be dressed "immodestly" to test the warning by an Iranian cleric that all the recent earthquakes were caused by women not dressing properly. I saw no mention in the media about an earthquake striking D.C., so I quess that theory was wrong. Who'd have thunk it?!