Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cartoon Saturday

After a "tense but civil" meeting between President Obama and House Republicans yesterday, reprehensive Mike Pence (R-Indiana) said that "House Republican leaders are grateful for (the President's) willingness to come ... and have a frank and honest conversation" ... translation of "frank and honest" in current political terms: "we scowled and shouted at each other, no one changed his or her mind, and we'll all go on blaming each other for everything and insisting on no compromises"; anti-abortion activist Scott Roeder was convicted of first-degree murder after a 37-minute jury deliberation in Wichita, Kansas; a thief trying to steal copper wire from an electrical substation in San Antonio received a fatal jolt of 69,000 volts when he tried to steal the wrong wires; and on Wednesday evening, President Obama delivered his first State of the Union Speech, followed immediately by the Republican Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo Speech delivered by Governor Bob McDonald of Virginia...dead air never sounded like such a good idea.

Cartoon Saturday: take as needed to relieve the pain of living in a steady state of DUMBCON 1.

I had to look at this one for a while before I got the joke...but then I liked it...

I enjoyed this take on the Supreme Court decision allowing unrestricted corporate funding of political campaigns ... after I stopped crying ...
My friend Katherine sent me this one, which ought to resonate with anyone who has recently tried to buy a pair of what we used to just call generic sneakers ... and yes, you can buy dance sneakers ...

You have to be careful where you buy your crystal ball ... it might have been previously owned by an economist ...
As a grumpy old geezer in training, I loved this one just on general principles ...

And finally, in case you were wondering how original divisions of domestic labor came about ...

It's good to be home after another flight-from-hell saga coming back from a business trip to Colorado. I'm more certain now than ever that I'm on a painful-fly list maintained by some higher power I've pissed off in the past.

But that's a story for another day.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

Mike said...

Battling.... Good one. It took me a few seconds to spot the joke.

I think your more up on Mike Peters than I am. I haven't been there in awhile.

And if you want to read more on the 69,000 volt guy, go to http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Man_electrocuted_in_copper_wire_theft.html?c=y&viewAllComments=y .
Finally in the last comment(so far) somebody mentions Darwin.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

The knight in shining armour took a couple of moments for me as well!

Mike said...

And cartoon Sunday too!

Mrs. Geezerette said...

The Knight in Shining Armor???????????

I'm usually good at getting jokes, but this one....well.....what's with the sunglasses?

My favorite cartoon is the sneakers one. The same plethora of choices exists with women's hosiery and bank accounts.

Where is your Sunday post?

Bilbo said...

SusieQ - the sunglasses are to cut the glare from the shining armor...it took me a while, too...