Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Topical Joke

I ran across this joke yesterday, and decided it says everything that needs to be said about how some people nowadays view religion. It's a bit long, but worth it:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the railing, about to jump off. So I ran over and shouted, “Stop! Don't do it!”

“Why shouldn't I?” he asked.

I said, “You have so much to live for!”

He said, “Like what?”

I said, “Well, are you religious or atheist?”

He said, “Religious.”

I said, “Me too! Are you Christian or Buddhist?”

He said, “Christian.”

I said, “Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?”

He said, “Protestant.”

I said, “Me too! Are you Episcopalian or Baptist?”

He said, “Baptist.”

I said, “Wow! Me too! Are you Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord?”

He said, “Baptist Church of God.”

I said, “Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God or Reformed Baptist Church of God?”

He said, “Reformed Baptist Church of God!”

I said, “Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?”

He said, “Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!”

I said, “Die, heretic scum!”, and pushed him off.

Did you ever wonder what happened to the Biblical injunction to love thy neighbor? Whether your viewpoint is Catholic - vs - Protestant, or Muslim - vs - Everybody Else, you may want to step back and think about it for a moment.

Not that it's likely to do any good, unfortunately.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

5 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Its totally insane since all religions are based on the same principles and that's even more so for Christian religions.

Its a shame all that is true though :(

lacochran's evil twin said...

Great joke. Think I'll send it to my brother-in-law the Baptist minister. :)

John A Hill said...

Funny. I've heard other variations before, the truth is the same--we tend to focus on the things that separate us more than the things that unite us.

Mike said...

So you read all those jokes on that site.

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Thanks! I laughed so loud I scared the neighbors, I think! heh heh.

Cyalayta
Mal :)