Thursday, May 29, 2008

Bad Jobs

We all complain about our jobs from time to time, but some people have more cause to do that than others. There's even a TV show dedicated to looking at the worst jobs in the world and, thank goodness, they haven't yet featured any jobs I've actually held. Lately, though, there are a few jobs that have to be on the list:

One of the worst jobs to hold nowadays has to be Airline Gate Agent. It must be wonderful to be the person holding the very brownest end of the stick, taking abuse from people fed up at being nickled and dimed to death on their tickets, having to pay for something new that used to be free each time they fly, facing the prospect of sitting for several hours in the narrowest and most uncomfortable seats since the Spanish Inquisition. I don't think I could do that. But some people can...

Another unpleasant job has to be shilling for the oil industry. It takes a special sort of person to tell audiences with a straight face that they're not responsible for the world-class reaming they're giving the traveling public. You all know the standard highway symbol for a gas station:

And you've surely seen the new version:


I could write more, but I have my own wonderful job to go to. I'm not complaining, though...at least I'm working, and a lot of other people aren't...

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

7 comments:

John A Hill said...

Hope that you have a great day at work. I try to tell these younger controllers (that have never had a real job) that I've worked hard for a living before and I can tell them--this ain't it.

KKTSews said...

Great cartoon about the gate agents. It's hard to imagine the crap they must take in order to complete their day and get a paycheck.
Too bad AMTRACK is unreliable and routes not well-developed (except the NE corridor). We need an alternative for travel.

Amanda said...

Yes, there are bad jobs and good jobs and the job we currently have. My post today is about what I miss about my old job.

I've been watching the F1 races lately and I think I'd like the job of holding the umbrella over the drivers as they wait to start the race :)

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Oh man the new gas symbol.

Oh man, I hurt myself laughing.

Thank you for that :P

Mike said...

And then there's being retired.

ssgreylord said...

You continue to entertain. I especially enjoyed the cartoons today. So fitting...

Trix said...

Hilarious post,it made me laugh out loud,especially the new gas station synbol! I agree,there are many jobs that I wouldnt personally like doing.Fortunatly for you,you have a job to go to...and as for me,the one I shall be starting seems to be a good one.But every job must have its setbacks....laughing about them is one way of handling them and a rather good one at that :)
Have a great day,Bilbo...you really do have an Awesome blog!