Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

My daughter Yasmin has been on my case lately about getting enough sleep. I've always gotten by on about five hours of sleep a night and found it to be plenty, but as I get older, I'm finding that I need a lot more sleep than I'm getting, in spite of those quality naps at the office.

The problem is that, given our goofy schedules, it's hard to squeeze out the time to devote to sleep. Because Agnes works two jobs and usually doesn't get home evenings until around 9:30, I end up doing most of the cooking, dog walking, laundry, and general housework. Having dinner between 9:30 and 10:00 PM means we usually don't get to bed until around 10:30...and then I'm up each weekday morning at 4:10 to be out of the shower by 4:30 so that I can have the hour between 4:30 and 5:30 as my private time to write this blog, check e-mail, pay bills, etc. More and more, that 5 1/2 hours of sleep just isn't enough.

Yasmin sent me this link to an article about the importance of good sleep habits. I guess she's trying to use the choke: the article talks about the short-term and long-term consequences of not getting enough sleep. In the short term, the consequences include:
  • Decreased performance and alertness (I can see this sometimes in my dance lessons);
  • Memory and cognitive impairment (since my mother died of complications of Alzheimer's Disease, this one is probably the most immediately scary);
  • Stress on relationships;
  • Overall poor quality of life;
  • Occupational injury (more of a risk when you operate machinery than when you work in an office, but still a concern); and
  • Automobile injury (Agnes has pointed out that I sometimes tend to doze off when stopped at traffic lights...not a good thing).
And the long-term consequences include:

  • High blood pressure (my doctor mentioned that at my last exam);
  • Heart attack;
  • Heart failure;
  • Stroke;
  • Obesity (I'm not obese but, like most of us, I could easily lose a few pounds...eating dinner right before going to bed doesn't help);
  • Psychiatric problems, including depression and other mood disorders;
  • Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD); and
  • Fetal and childhood growth retardation.
Well, okay, the point has been made. Now, how do I go about getting more sleep? It's easier said than done, but I guess that the consequences make it necessary figure out how to trade off the things I do now for the sleep I need for the long run.

After all, with four adorable grandchildren to watch grow and lots of beautiful ladies out there to dance with, I have a vested interest in staying healthy ... and awake ... for a long time. And so, if you'll excuse me, I need to catch 40 winks so I won't be too tired while I'm resting up for my nap.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

11 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

It's hard to break from routine too. Hope you can get some naptime :)

Amanda said...

Hi Bilbo, its not my intention to be rude here but don't people need less sleep as they grow older? Thats what my parents say is happening to them.

OK. As for your sleeps, I read somewhere that if you want to feel rested by napping, you have to either sleep 20mins or 2 hours. Something about the sleep cycles and how they'll affect you if you wake at the wrong time. I do the 20 min napping each afternoon and it does feel good.

Bilbo said...

Amanda, I'd also heard that people need less sleep as they grow older. I guess I'm just unusual. All I know is that I tend to be more tired than I should all the time. I've also heard about the 20 minutes - vs - 2 hours rule of thumb. The 20 minutes will be easier to squeeze out than the 2 hours.

Mike said...

As always wikipedia has all the answers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

Oh, also, when your RETIRED getting enough sleep is not a problem! Tell Agnes you need more sleep so your retiring and she needs to find a third job. Tell her I said it was OK for you to retire.

If you need backup on this I'll .... have John call her.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Five hours sleep is a short while.

Bilbo said...

Mike, I can always count on you for sound advice. Or at least, for sound.

Serena said...

I generally get 4-5 hours a night, and that's always been enough. Now, though, I find that I really wish I could get more. I'm not sure what the answer to your dilemma is, but I can tell you that naps help enormously.:)

Unknown said...

Sleep deprived? Checkout http://www.blackoutez.com. They make a window cover that darkens the room completely. It's made for night shifters who must sleep during the day but will work for you to get that much needed power nap. The darker the room, the faster you fall asleep and the longer you sleep. They work with your existing window treatments. I use them and they are great.

Moose said...

"I divide my time as follows: half the time I sleep, the other half I dream. I never dream when I sleep, for that would be a pity, for sleeping is the highest accomplishment of genius."
Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855) Danish philosopher and writer.

Now go to sleep, Dad!

John A Hill said...

Well I doubt that anybody wants to hear from a sleep deprived air traffic controller, but there are more of us out there than anyone would care to admit. I have always been the person that could get by on little sleep and managed well with naps. In spite of that, I know that I need to get more sleep for all of the health and well being reasons that you mentioned.

My schedule this week:
Monday 3pm-11pm
Tuesday 1pm-9pm
Wednesday 5:30am-1:30pm

Now that's 8 1/2 hours off between shifts. My drive time is 40 minutes each way plus time for eating, showering, dressing and a few moments to visit with my wife and wind down before bed. I actually went to bed about midnight and got up at 4 am.

Thursday's shift began at 10:30 pm on Wed. night and went until 6:30 am Thursday morning. That's nine hours between shifts to make the drive to and from, take care of the horses, have dinner at church and try to get 2-3 hours sleep before going to work. This week I took an hour of leave at the end of my shift so that I could get home and in bed by 6:30 am. I was up at 11 (4 1/2 hours of sleep), showered, dressed and on the road by 12:15 pm for an afternoon/evening program in Crocker MO. The 2 hour drive (with a short stop to visit a friend) had me there by 2:30; the program lasted 'til 6:30, headed home by 7, a short stop at the pasture to check on the horses, home at 9:10 pm, change clothes, grab a quick snack and on the way back to work by 9:45 pm.

Last day of the week is from 10:30 pm Thursday night until 6:30 am Friday. Hey, you can sleep when you're dead...right?

In the 41 1/2 hours between Tuesday at 1 pm and Thursday at 6:30 am, I put in three days of work (24 hours). It's a pretty typical work week for me.

Bilbo said...

John, you win. Get some sleep, in case you're working next time I fly.