Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Brief Thought on Elections

Pennsylvania, my beloved home state, has completed its long-awaited and hard-fought presidential primary, and Senator Clinton's presidential bid has come lurching back from its grave like a political zombie in a grade-B horror movie. Hooray! Now we can enjoy another month or so of Democratic fratricide as Ms Clinton and Mr Obama continue to reel around each other like a pair of punch-drunk fighters in round six of an agonizingly unwinnable fight.

I'm reminded of an interesting thought on the democratic political process from author George Bernard Shaw: "Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."

I'm glad to be a proud part of the incompetent many. Like most of us, I'm absolutely opposed to all the political corruption, if only because I can't get my share of it.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

3 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Don't pick on Hills too much. Of the 3 idjits running, she at least comes with Bill...and I like Bill. I would've been his intern. :)

The Language Guy said...

I wasn't familiar with the Shaw quotation. Our founding fathers created the electoral college primarily to avoid both ills I believe. We have subverted their action, sad to say. Were electors actually known to voters and were they to run for that position, that might minimize the effects of the incompetent many and would avoid the corrupt few. If Jefferson had only knew that we were capable of electing dolts like Bush (actually the Supremes did that), he might not have been so fond of his faith in people. That has always been the liberal failing -- belief in the perfectibility of humans.

Mike said...

I'll put up with another Clinton to get back to a dollar a gallon gas. And I did like Bill. He didn't do anything that offended ME.
It's the truth! And it makes no sense.