Saturday, December 29, 2007

Random Thoughts for a Rainy Saturday

It's about 6:30 on a chilly, rainy Saturday morning here in Northern Virginia. Punky is still curled up asleep on the couch (having finally dried off from her walk last night in the pouring rain), Agnes is still asleep (but was dry all along, since I was the one who took Punky for the walk in the rain), and all is temporarily quiet.

It promises to be a busy weekend. One of my goals for the weekend is to finally, once and for all, get my study cleaned out, not that it needs it...


Of course, I've been saying that I'm going to clean the study every weekend for the last year, but something always intervenes to keep it from happening. I'm sure the same thing will happen again this weekend. Sigh.

We had a nice time at the dance party last night, with a good crowd for the last party of the year. A high point was a visit from our friend Renee, the sister of Ben, the school owner and my dance teacher. Renee is quite a ... um ... character, and a lot of fun. Naturally, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have my picture taken with her and Agnes...


Ben's mother also was there to visit, and we really enjoyed meeting her after hearing about her for so many years. We finally got her to smile for the picture ... sort of ...


But that was all last night, and the weekend looms ahead, bright with promise for things to be done in addition to cleaning the study, like tackling the Mount Everest of Laundry in the bedroom, and squeezing in a visit with Leya at some point. I already know Sunday will be a wash, because Agnes will be competing at the annual Yuletide Ball Dance Championships with one of her students. I'll be going along to cheer and take pictures, and between last-minute practicing, the drive into the city, and the competition itself, the day will be pretty well shot for anything else.

Obviously, it will be The Cleaning of the Study that will fall off the table. Again. Sigh.

My father forwarded me an e-mail yesterday that contained "Ten Thoughts to Ponder for 2008." I'd seen variations of the list before, but the timing was right to give me a laugh worth sharing. Here you go:

Number 10: Life is sexually transmitted.

Number 9: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Number 8: Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.

Number 7: Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Number 6: Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Number 5: Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Number 4: All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Number 3: Why does “a slight tax increase” cost you $200.00 and “a substantial tax cut” saves you $30.00?

Number 2: In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

And The Number 1 Thought to Ponder For 2008: We know exactly where one cow with Mad-Cow-Disease is located among hundreds of millions of cows in America, but we haven't got a clue as to where millions of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of Immigration?

I like #10, myself. #6 is a strong second.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow, from the study that will probably look just like it did in today's picture.

Bilbo

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That certainly is a funny list. My favourites are #7 and #5.

Btw, your study looks to be in the same state as my mother's. PARENTS! See what happens when there is nobody around to tell you to tidy up? :)

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Hmmmm number 7...Give this girl a fish..and well...there wouldn't be a morning show on 99.3 for a few weeks!

Tee hee.

I love 6 though!

John A Hill said...

The study looks an awful lot like my magic room! Much more than a weekend project!

Great list, too. My own variation on #7...Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night; Set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A great list; they are so true.

I've a feeling that study will stay like that!