Sunday, September 02, 2007

Moonlight Memories

Just a few random musings about music, due to the lateness of the hour.

The Weekend Question posted yesterday over at Captain Picard's Journal asked readers to name covers of songs done by artists that were better than the original versions. The many responses he received were both interesting and humbling...mainly because I either didn't recognize many of the songs, or didn't realize that the versions I'd always liked were covers of the original.

Actually, I generally don't think about whether a particular song I like is the original or a cover. When I do realize it and listen to both, I usually prefer the original (a comment made by several of the respondents). I posted my preference for the Klaus Hallen version of the song "My Moonlight Memories of You," written and originally sung by - gasp! - Barry Manilow. I heard the Klaus Hallen cover first as a beautiful fox trot tempo, and in fact Agnes and I danced a Fox Trot exhibition routine a few years ago using that music. When I later found the Barry Manilow original it just seemed lifeless, even though the lyrics were the same. Here are the lyrics to that wonderful song:

One time in everybody’s life, there is a moment
Like the moment we knew
And if you’re a fool, you let it slip away.
Some time in everybody’s life, there is a feeling
A feeling so rare
And once it is gone, it can never be replaced.

I’m dancing with a shadow,
Holding on to a dream that’ll never come true.
Still haunted by that old love song -
My moonlight memories of you.

My heart is like a ghost town
To every stranger that passes on through.
All they find there is what you left behind there –
My moonlight memories of you.

You thought when you left me I’d let you go
But here I am –
Loving you more than you’ll ever know.

If I could hold you, feel your heart beat
Just one more time
There’s nothing that I wouldn’t do
‘Cause without your love I’ll never be free of
My moonlight memories of you.

One time in everybody’s life, there is a moment
Like the moment we knew
And if you’re a fool, you let it slip away.

I’m dancing with a shadow,
Holding on to a dream that’ll never come true.
Still haunted by that old love song -
My moonlight memories of you.

Boy, I like that combination of music and lyrics!

I couldn't think of other versions of songs for a while, although two others have since come to mind:

The Z.Z. Top version of Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas" is very good, but I think it lacks the driving energy of the original.

Madonna's version of Don McLean's "American Pie" is almost as good as the original, but I think I'll always prefer Don McLean's because I saw him perform it live in concert while I was in college.

Have a good evening. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

No comments: