Monday, July 09, 2007

Things that Make You go AARRGGHH!! - Switching from PC to Mac

I purchased my first desktop computer - a Cordata AT with a towering 20 MB hard drive - around 1988, and have been a PC-person (that's "personal computer," not "politically correct") ever since. I've been through DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, ME, and XP, gnashing my teeth at each new operating system's quirks and idiosyncracies. And now, just when XP and I have finally made peace and the number of mysterious crashes and blue screens of death has gone down to a tolerable level, XP is giving way to a new monster called Vista.

It's time for a change.

As I began experiencing more and more problems with my current PC, I finally yielded to the pressures of my friends and colleagues and stuck my toe into the Mac water by purchasing a spiffy new iMac. Phil, the nice young man at the Apple Store, answered all my questions and gently twisted my mental arm until I decided to take the plunge. And so, here I sit at my desk, with the PC on the right and the iMac on the left.

So far, I like the iMac, but it's really taking some getting used to. It appears to be much easier to operate, and the design is aesthetically pleasing, but I'm distressed that I now own gazillions of dollars worth of Windows-based software that I can now use for coasters and frisbees. I had my frustrations with Internet Explorer, but Safari is a perfectly yucky web browser (I'm trying Firefox). My beloved right-clicks to bring up menus don't work...well, okay, they work, but only if I push the "control" key as I click. I can't figure out where things are (where's my trusy "My Documents" folder??). I can't transfer all my music from my iPod to the iMac because the iPod is formated for Windows (but I'm told the Apple Store folks can move it all for me). In short, my current opinion is AARRGGHH!!

How's all this going to work out? Don't know yet. I'll let you know. For now, though, indications are cautiously positive. Which is a good thing, because I have just invested a lot of money in the new iMac, and Agnes will shoot me if I change my mind now.

Ah, life in the wired world!

Regular readers, don't despair - I will be traveling on business until Thursday, and probably won't be able to post to this blog again until - GASP!! - Friday the 13th. Don't give up on me...I'll be back.

Have a good day. More thoughts coming on Friday!

Bilbo

No comments: