Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thou Shalt Not Drive Like a Moron

I've often complained in this space about the drivers who try to kill me every day as I cross the street on my way to work. A bad driver is like the weather - everybody complains about it, but nobody does anything. Until now.

The Vatican has issued "Ten Commandments for Drivers," the first of which is "Thou shalt not kill." If I remember correctly, that commandment has already been published, but that's neither here nor there. You can read the entire list at: http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/06/19/vatican.road.rage.ap/index.html. I also did a quick search on the Vatican website (http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm), but wasn't able to find them.

The Ten Commandments for drivers aren't a bad thing. Every one is sensible and worthwhile. Of course, they may not apply if you are a Buddhist or a Hindu, and certainly not if you are a Muslim (as you don't recognize the validity of any other religion and are promised paradise for killing us infidels, anyhow). If they help reduce the toll of death and injury on the roads of the world, though, I suppose that's great.

I can't help thinking, however, that the Vatican, with all its spiritual and temporal power and prestige, could take on some more important issues. Feeding the hungry, nursing the sick, and clothing the naked are all mentioned in the Bible, but don't generally have anything to do with safe driving. Condemnation of evils done in the name of religion would be a good start.

But I guess that's driving too fast for political conditions.

Have a good day. Drive safely.

I probably won't post again until Sunday, as I'll be on the road to visit my grandchildren. More thoughts when I return.

Bilbo

No comments: